Acquiring Animals for Research Use

Purchasing Animals from Commercial Vendors

In-House Breeding Colonies and Pre-Weaning-Age Pups

Reporting of Animals Bred In-house

Purchasing Animals from Commercial Vendors

In order to protect the health and well being of all animals used at UCI, University Laboratory Animal Resources (ULAR) coordinates all animal purchases and transfers for the campus and UCIMC facilities. ULAR also establishes the recharge rates for all animal care services, including per diems rates, transportation and technical services.

All research animal acquisitions, whether from commercial vendors or other institutions, must be coordinated through University Laboratory Animal Resources (ULAR). Animals cannot be purchased, acquired or transferred to UCI until a protocol for their use has been reviewed and approved by the IACUC.

The University uses only purpose-bred animals for research, which are acquired from USDA-licensed Class A vendors. ULAR maintains a list of approved commercial vendors; these sources provide reliable colony health information and present a low risk of contamination to other research animals on campus. Animals from these vendors may enter campus vivaria directly upon arrival. Animals from all other sources, including other educational and research institutions, are subject to quarantine until their health status can be verified.

Adult animals that are purchased or transfered through ULAR are automatically deducted from the approved allocation - researchers are responsible for ensuring accuracy of protocol numbers when ordering or transfering animals. 

In-House Breeding Colonies and Pre-Weanling Pups

Research staff are responsible for reporting all animals that are not purchased through routine ULAR purchasing procedures; such animals include:

  • Animals produced in campus breeding colonies
  • Pre-weanling pups purchased as "Dam with Litter"
  • Offspring of animals purchased while pregnant and then born following a full term pregnancy.  Animals harvested as embryos (prior to natural birth) do not need to be counted or reported. 
  • Any other animals acquired through sources other than ULAR purchasing (e.g., exotic animals purchased by the Lead Researcher directly from the vendor).

Reporting of Animals Bred In-House

NOTE:  The  Web Reporting of Animals interface is no longer functional. The Research Management System (RMS) will have the functional capability for on-line reporting of animals soon; in the meantime, researchers should keep their own in-lab records of all animals produced in their breeding colonies.  This includes:

  • All animals produced in the colony and used for research - reported in the applicable USDA pain category (C, D or E)
  • All animals produced in the colony and held as breeders - reported in USDA pain category B
  • All animals produced in the colony but not used for any research purpose - reported in USDA category B

Principal Investigators and Research Personnel are responsible for keeping accurate records of all animals born in in-house breeding colonies as part of their laboratory record-keeping process.  Researchers must report all such animals to the IACUC as part of the protocol's Annual Review.

For more information about acquiring and housing animals for use in research at UCI, including how to transfer animals from other institutions, visit the ULAR website.
Questions? Contact us at

News & Announcements

View More