International Travel

Hand carrying items for research in your luggage when going abroad is an export. Depending on the item you are carrying and your ultimate travel destination, an export license may be required. Additionally, whether or not an export license is required, if the items you are carrying are valued over $2500, additional US government paperwork needs to be filed through the Automated Export System (AES) for Electronic Export Information. This only takes a few minutes. Export Control will provide a review of your equipment and determine if an export license or license exception is available and if AES filing is required. Please contact us in advance of your travels as early as possible as export licensing may take 6 weeks or longer.

Sanctioned Countries

The Department of the Treasury, through its Office of Foreign Asset Control, administers economic and trade sanctions that may restrict or require licensing for activities involving specific countries, individuals and entities. Before considering travel to conduct research or educational activities in a sanctioned country, check with the Export Control Officer Marci Copeland. A general license for Cuba may cover you; however, other countries can require a specific license that may take several weeks to obtain.

Please reference OFAC's Sanctions Program and Country Summaries for the most current list of U. S. sanctions.

Fast Facts

Useful Numbers

  • UCI DUNS #:04-670-5849
  • UCI EIN #: 95-2226406
  • NIH Profile: 577504
  • NSF Code:0013144000
  • NAICS Code: 611310
  • IRB FWA: 00004071
  • AWA: A3416-01
View More