Cannabis Research


Proposition 64 enacted in California on November 8, 2016 allows for the use, cultivation, and sale/distribution of marijuana for non-medical purposes among people over the age of 21. However, based on federal law, marijuana is categorized as a Schedule I drug with “no currently accepted medical use” in the United States. There is no provision for the legal use of marijuana for research at UC except as established and in compliance with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) policies and regulations. Marijuana remains prohibited on all University property and at all University events, except for as used in approved academic research.

Does it contain... I want to... I need to... Who is the supplier? Conduct hemp research Delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol with a concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis 1. A USDA-approved state plan 2. A grower that has applied for and obtained a license directly from the USDA 3. A state Department of Agriculture that has established a research Pilot Program or a University authorized to grow hemp 4. An international supplier Contact Amy Green at the Office of Research for Assistance Conduct marijuana research 1. All parts of the Cannabis sativa K. (marijuana) plant. 2. “Derivatives” of the marijuana plant 3. “Extracts” of the marijuana plant DEA-approved source: Only the University of Mississippi is authorized to produce mari - juana plant-based products for use by researchers in the U.S 1. Receive approval from the Research Advisory Panel of California (RAPC) in the California Attorney General’s Office 2. Register with and obtain a Schedule I registration from the DEA 3. Submit an investigational new drug (IND) application to the FDA (if there are human research participants involved) 4. Obtain research-grade marijuana from a DEA- approved source See Research Advisory Panel for more information Contact Monique Skahan at EH&S for assistance See FDA website for guidance on marijuana research withhuman subjects See NIDA Drug Supply Program


Any UCI researcher who wishes to pursue research that involves marijuana research or industrial hemp, or whose research is sponsored by the marijuana industry should, prior to commencement of any such research, consult with the Office of Research. Please contact Amy Green, Research Compliance & Policy Administrator at for more information.


UCI Center for the Study of Cannabis

UC Research Policy Analysis & Coordination

Guidance and Policies

UC Guidance Memo 19-02: Pilot Approach when Considering Funding from the Marijuana Industry

Federal Controlled Substances Act

BUS 50: University's Policy on Controlled Substances

UC guidance on use and possession of marijuana on UC property

News & Announcements

View More